Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Earthquake!!! Awkward Survival Tips.

Lukas chapter 9 is up. I'm happy the feedback so far is good on it. I was worried. I'm already going on the next chapter. I have a plan and I think it'll shake things up a little. Just trying to figure out the line between hot-dirty and gross-dirty. It's not so much about the line as it is the writing. You can do obscenely filthy things with characters, but if it's done right then it works.

I met my tutor yesterday. He helped me go through the first few things in each course and he set up a plan with activities in my Google student calendar so every morning I get a list of things to check off like readings, forum post, etcetera… that's a great word. It's Latin. Two words, et meaning “and;” cetera meaning “similar things.”


He's a cool guy, 80% business and 20% fun. A (Persian husband) gave us a speech about him not doing the work for me, just making sure I have enough help to learn what I need. I think it'll work out. I'm seeing him again tomorrow then it's labor day weekend. Yay.

Did anyone feel the 4.4 earthquake? It was like two short ones at 7:30. I was just coming back from doing the dishes and A was pacing in the living room talking on the phone. His first instinct was to grab me and my first was to duck behind the back of the couch.

It's funny how your instincts take over like that. I was trained to get next to something bigger than me and taller so if crap falls from the ceiling it has something to break it's fall instead of crushing me. It's called the triangle of safety or something. His instinct was to pull me into his chest to protect me.


So it was like he reached for me with his arms and I dropped down. Lol. It was awkward. He got down with me for the second one. He says we felt it stronger than it was because this is a new construction building with earthquake safety so the building is designed to roll and rumble with the Earth rather than stand strong and crumble. We had very different earthquake training. In Iran they got in door frames and under desks. In California, we used to get under desks, then learned the triangle of safety.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I have felt a few very minor rumbles, but not a full blown earthquake. Actually, the first time I felt the rumbles, I had to be told that it was actually an earthquake. I'm not sure how I would react to an earthquake being in a high rise building. I'm so glad you are ok.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished chapter 9. I loved it! Big cliffhanger at the end and I can't wait to see what happens. You are such a great story teller! :)

      Alex

      Delete
    2. I'm used to ones like that, but we haven't had one in a few years so I think it might have been our first real one together! If we had been 20 miles west in our old place, we might not have felt it at all.

      I'm glad that chapter turned out ok. I kind of worried that there wasn't enough real story there, just bits and pieces.

      Delete
  2. Thank you!!! Made the mistake of listening to Lucas on the way to my Shrink. David made fun of my woody. It "wood" not fade as I walked into Shriny Dinks office!

    I love your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! When I listen to it, I usually do so while working out. It's harder to get hard when on a treadmill or ellipse machine. Too much blood flow going elsewhere. :)

      Delete
    2. After three weeks without Zahir, a "stiff" breeze gets me hard.

      Delete
  3. I woke up to texts this morning, with friends and family telling me about the earthquake and that they were okay. The news tends to over-exaggerate, and they didn't want me to see a headline and worry.

    In all the times I have been to Southern Cal, I have never experienced one of their quakes. Unless you count a few years back, when after returning to AZ from Laguna, friends were asking about the "big earthquake" that took place while we were there. We just laughed because we didn't know anything about it. Didn't feel it or even hear about it. Odd.

    We had a quake two years ago that centered in Black Canyon City, AZ, about 15 miles north of our community. Not big, but enough to wake us during the night. Caused a pair of cabinets in the garage to break loose. That was the first I heard of a fault line near us.

    I love that you dove for the back of the couch, while your husband tried to reach for you. "Let me go! Triangle of safety!" So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really weird how you feel it in different places. It doesn't just roll out in a big circle, it's like it goes in fingers in some areas. :) Triangle of Safety!! Everyone should know it ;)

      Delete