Friday, January 4, 2019

Jumuah!

One thing about my husband, a very traditional Persian man, is that he doesn't involve me in his religion and he never tries to teach me his language. I've never understood that, but it's his choice of course. Sometimes I do catch him praying over me when he thinks I am asleep and he does do his prayers in our bedroom. 

This morning his dad said I am looking healthy and should go with them to Friday afternoon prayers with them. 

Husband said something in their language and his dad answered in English, "You are fine, right? You want to come with us, no?" to me. 

I had no idea what was going on so I just looked at A and slid closer against his chest and he put his arm around me. 

Then his dad switched back to Farsi and they started going back and forth. I asked A about it when it was over and he quickly took me back to our room. I remembered way back when he first moved me in with him and he had told his parents I was a wayward boy who needed help and he was teaching me Islam. I had forgotten all about that. He said he has told them I am Christian but wanting to learn about it and he does the child stuff with me. 

Apparently when a child isn't old enough to really get into the religion then you teach them these child prayers and guide them and stuff. Supposedly he has been doing that with me! his parents readily accepted that as a way to understand why he would get a townhouse and move me in with him. 

He said if I go to the Persian service his dad wants to go to this afternoon then I will be looked at and seen as an outsider. He said his dad will keep me close under his arm and explain that I am his. He said it's ok if I don't want to go. I told him I will do what he wants me to do. 


I don't want to be the one to cause problems between him and his dad and as much as I want to please his father, I am married to A and he is the one who should be making this choice and not putting me between his will and his father's. I belong to him and it is his responsibility to work things out with his father without involving me and causing friction. He likes when I remind him of his husband duties. It's one of the perks of marrying a traditional man bound to his culture. He decided I would go with them. 

+++ 

It was interesting! I had no idea what was going on! We had to take our shoes off and wash our feet and hands and face and everything. We stood and then knelt and then leaned down and then back up and then down and then up and then down and said things in Arabic. His dad told me what to say and I repeated it but I'm sure I totally effed it up, he kept smiling and encouraging me. After a long time of the up and down we knelt and the imam in the front gave a speech in Arabic. 

I wore long khaki pants and a long-sleeved polo shirt. When I was washing up, my husband knelt in front of me and rolled up the cuffs of my pants above the ankles. He said it is more respectful that way. His dad gave me some beads to hold during the service. My husband has a few nice sets at home. He keeps some in his car too. 


I was between him and his father. Whenever someone approached us his father immediately spoke to them in their language so no one said a word to me other than a polite nod. I did get stares, but I think it was because I was the one white kid in a room full of darker men. It was all men too! The women do their own thing separately. 

I think I did ok. I did get distracted by seeing the underwear bands of the two hot guys in front of us... I felt dirty for that. haha. 

I could tell husband was anxious the whole time. I don't know why he doesn't want to discuss it with me. But that's his choice I guess. I personally think he is eager to be americanized. He doesn't talk about taking our future kids there. He doesn't talk much about raising them like that. When he does, he seems to go back and forth on it. 

11 comments:

  1. What did he mean about being looked at as an outsider if you went? Like they would be rude to you if his dad didn’t stick close? I think there’s no way to avoid that impression based on your appearance but it sounds like he kind of wanted you to stay home. His dad seems to be shaking things up:)

    Any idea what you were repeating? It would be weird to have no idea what you were saying/praying. It’s one thing to not understand others, but not understanding yourself is interesting! Of course it would be something good in that situation. I bet it was nice being a part of something so important in your husband’s life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He meant that I would stick out for being a white kid, and I did. They were all super welcoming! But his father kept me under his arm and talked in their language so I don't know what he was saying.

      I think my husband was ashamed that he has become very inactive with his faith. He rarely goes to a service out here and he doesn't do his prayers as often, especially with his busy life. I will have to blog about the argument at dinner tonight. It kind of sounded like his father thinks my husband is ashamed of where he comes from. They both made it very clear to me that none of this is my fault. So that's good. His father said it is the man's job to guide and his son is failing in that aspect. My husband had made it seem to them like he was teaching me his faith so we could raise our kids in it and I wouldn't feel left out. It got ugly from what I could tell.

      During the service and after, his father explained to me what I was saying. It is all about asking for forgiveness and praising and promising stuff. I didn't grow up religious so it was interesting.

      Delete
    2. Not taking sides in something I know nothing about (yes, I am), BUT, it seems like your husband has so much to stay on top of he shouldn’t feel bad for not being as involved as he used to be. If he was misrepresenting things to his parents that’s not great. But he sounds like he has accomplished so much since you’ve met him. There are only so many hours in the day and our work life in the U.S. is not really conducive to stopping for prayer. At least not the jobs I’ve held. And then the harder you work the more you tend to want to zone out in your free time and not attend services or other obligations. But that probably sounds bad, I’m not really religious either and I’m sure for those who are they get energy or peace from organized religion.

      Delete
    3. That is true. I can't begin to understand what he goes through. He works so hard to provide for us and keep me happy. He also grew up with a culture that expects a lot of him and he tries to fulfill that. My father just expects me to be me. My husband just expects me to be me. Well that and to clean up after him. :)

      Delete
  2. It is very interesting and we have chatted about this a lot. I really wonder why he has been so reluctant to teach you? My guy is still active in his religion. He uses a spare room at the house when he is at home, and he works for a multinational company and they allow him time during the day for prayer. He has prayer rugs at home and at work. I personally haven't done much concerning the religion, but I am learning Arabic and I'm beginning to be able to follow simple conversations. It is an interesting language. His sister is actually the one teaching me.

    Maybe you are right and he is trying to Americanize himself? Your husband is a mystery. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should ask him about it and see if he wants you to pray with him some time. It was kind of cool. I liked the bonding with his dad over it and even A seemed happy that I was there trying to be a part of something so important to them. My guy can be pretty mysterious on some things! He just don't want me to stress about stuff.

      Delete
  3. I can identify. My family knows that I will not convert. So I am kept at that guest level to their faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I'm learning some basic Arabic, I'm understanding the bit more of their beliefs. Of course when they need a private (not for boy) talk, they switch to their Bedouin tribal language. At that point I am just as lost as before.

      I am thrilled that you were able to go to worship with your father-in-law and husband. I know that is one place I will never be permitted to go. It shows your father-in-law recognizes you are able to reason as an adult. Treat it as the greatest of compliments.

      Delete
    2. I know it would take me years of learning their language before I could understand their family conversations. It is like rapid fire exchange of sounds sometimes! I pick up words here and there but I don't really know what they mean.
      Even though you don't want to convert, do you get to learn about it from him?

      Delete
    3. They explain whats going on during the holidays. Especially when I receive gifts from "outside" the family. The neighbors know I am an orphan. During a recent holiday a few of them presented me a portion of thier meat offering. I was confused but Baba taught me how to receive it gratefully. Afterwards he explained the why. The neighbors were not implying Zahir's family couldn'tcare for me, they were honoring a tenant of faith by providing care for an orphan.

      The Imam wanted to meet me. Z was in Iran so Baba and the eldest brother arranged it. Thankfully I was mute that day and couldn't mess things up. Baba "translated" (smoothed) my ASL. Baba and the Imam alluded that Zahir was the wild rebellious child of the family (cannot wrap my head around that image). Baba told the Imam caring for me, "settled" Zahir. Baba and the eldest brother credited my gentle hand for Zahir's return to worshiping at the mosque with his father and brothers. The Imam extended a blessing on me Baba explained it later.

      Zahir and the family go out of their way to explain things to me. In Jordan, hospitality is everything. If you keep your mind open, they are happy to teach.

      Delete
    4. It's such a different culture! Sometimes it's like wow! hah. After a while I got kind of culture shock with them. I don't know if I would be able to live in Iran like that, especially not speaking the language or understanding it.

      Delete