Thursday, May 18, 2017

Starting thoughts

Starting a new chapter of a story is always hard to do. I get this scene in my head, a REALLY great scene, and I want to make it into a chapter so I write it down in a very rough draft then I think back to what the characters were doing before and how do I get them from there to this scene. Then sometimes that really great scene just doesn't go with it at all and I have to cut it or reshape it.

My "Navid," the Persian love of my life who inspires the Navid you've read about in Noah's Starship, is doing ok, thanks for asking. 


Funny thing happened. SO I'm home from school now because finals are over. OveR!!! Summer is here and with one day home I was already bored out of my mind. We have a small townhouse and I keep it pretty clean already. It takes maybe an hour to completely get it sparkling perfect. By 9 this morning I was bored. I went to the gym in our complex to workout and then kept texting "Navid," but he is working so he just responds here and there between his meetings or driving. 


He got home about 3 and brought me this: 



It's a finger spinner. He was mentioning to one of his clients that his "boy" (I think he probably refers to me as his son when working with people who he doesn't know well and are just working with him on a business deal) is home from school and bored. The client gave him the spinner to give to me and said his kids are crazy about them. It's the latest craze for kids... Not a 20 year old. 

We looked at some youtube videos on how it works while I was making our dinner. He did some tricks with it.  I think he likes it more than I do. It's so funny too because he comes home in his suit and tie with gelled back hair checking emails and making calls like a real man. Then he goes upstairs and puts on his gym clothes and baseball cap and plays with the spinner doing tricks to entertain me and make me laugh while I'm making our dinner. 


It just reminded me of the side of him that is still a kid, the easygoing playful guy I fell in love with. Not that I'm not totally in love with the man who makes money and provides a beautiful life for me, but he's more complex than that. 


Now he's back to being the adult and working on his business things for tomorrow. He sets a time limit of about an hour or two each night to work, the rest is for us. It's a compromise we made back when he was working like crazy every day and night. 


Someone told me I should start this blog. I've never done one before or really read them. It sounded like a good idea. Does anyone read these though? Is this something I should do? 


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to add my comment and my technical skills are limited... ;) :) You should def blog. I love reading your stories and look forward to reading more. Keep 'em coming! I honestly think you could write about paint drying and I would read it. You have a gift with words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm humbled that people like my stuff and want to read it.

      Delete