Thursday, February 18, 2021

Disaster mode, but we are safe.

 We are finally back in our house after 3 days without power. My husband spent an hour this morning crawling around inspecting things and luckily no water pipes burst. So crazy! I am ready to go back to california. 

We woke up Monday to a freezing cold house and we made it to his parents house a few miles west of us. Luckily they had power, but it went off for most of the time the last few days. They had a big stack of firewood though and had moved it to the garage so it was dry. So crazy! 

We had our powerblock thingies all charged up because the news warned that the power might go out, so we were able to charge our phones, but then the cell towers went down one by one. It was so crazy! My husband would pull up the map app to see where it located us, and our dot kept getting farther and farther away from where we were which means the cell towers were dying. 

Tonight it is supposed to snow and freeze again, but hopefully we will keep our house warm so we can stay here. The heater has it up to 68 inside right now. It was below 30 when we checked on it yesterday. That's inside, not outside. 

Thankfully everyone is ok and we didn't get damage. The water pressure is very low across the city.  

I am over Texas. I am really really over Texas. 

My dad lived through the Northridge quake before I was born, and he was telling me about how LA was without power or water for a few days. I have never been through something like this. 

Back to cleaning! Hope everyone is ok. 

4 comments:

  1. On the east coast we are without water so no soothing baths yet. Glad you and your family are good. Hope it gets better for you and yours. Take care jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be over TX too! The pictures and stories I’ve seen are pretty dramatic. I’m glad you were spared some of the worst but sorry you’ve had to deal with that.

    I’m in an area that only got ice but mostly stays warm. I feel very lucky. I hope things get better for TX soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would prefer Texas to London. I was raised to be a warm and wet Miami boy... Amman, Jordan was a huge enough culture and climate shock.

    Zahir is teasing me about living on a canal boat in some place called King's Cross. At least I think he is teasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You once asked if Z and I have tried puppy play... Funny story:

      Due to increasing RLN damage/atrophy the vocal folds sometimes develop an odd sort of rattle sound when I am excited. Z has started calling me "kitten" because he says it sounds like a cat purring. Three guesses when it gets strongest.

      Delete